Shakshuka is one of our favorite brunch recipes that can truly delight at any time of day. Not to mention it can often be made with things you have in your pantry, which is even better! Don’t forget to serve this simple, healthy brunch dish with your favorite crusty bread for dipping!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, dived
1 bell pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 teaspoon sugar
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, with juices
2 cups greens (kale or spinach), neatly chopped and gently packed
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
handful chopped parsley
- Add the oil to a large skillet and heat over medium. Once hot,
add the onions, bell pepper and garlic. Cook 8-10 minutes, until
soft. Add the cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, 1 1/4 teaspoons of
the salt, sugar and tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally about 10
minutes, or until the sauce is starting to thicken.
- Add the chopped greens and heavy cream, stir, then continue
cooking, 10 minutes or so until the greens are wilted.
- Preheat the oven broiler and make sure you have a rack in the
- Remove the skillet from the heat and make 6 little holes in the
sauce. Crack an egg into each hole, then spoon a bit of the sauce
over the whites. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt over
the eggs, then top with feta.
- Return the pan to the heat over low and cover. Cook 5-7 minutes,
or until the egg whites are mostly set but still translucent on
- Remove the lid and transfer to the oven to nish the eggs to
your liking. 1 minute for runny yolks, more for a rmer yolk.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley. Then serve with