This 13-bean soup is chock-full of fiber and protein perfect for a hearty meal. Add in as many vegetables and proteins to customize it for your family’s taste buds. Chicken Sausage is a great lean add in to substitute for pork.
2 Cups 13 Bean Soup Mix
2 tbs Olive oil or butter
1 lb ground chicken sausage or ham (cooked & diced)
1 Large onion, diced
4 Garlic cloves, minced
4 Carrots, or 8 baby carrots, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. Basil
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. Thyme
2 Quarts chicken stock
2 Cloves garlic, minced
1. Swirl and rinse beans well, remove any dirt or unwanted debris. Drain well.
2. Heat oil and brown sausage, break up into small chunks.
(diced ham optional). Add onions and garlic and brown lightly softening the onions.
3 Add carrots, celery, herbs, salt and pepper, stir and brown lightly. Add all browned ingredients to pressure cooker.
4. Add in beans, and stock, and stir until all mixed thoroughly. Lock pressure cooker lid and raise heat to med-high until high pressure is reached.
5. Decrease heat to medium or med-low to keep steady high pressure without venting steam.
6. Cook for 30 minutes. Turn off heat and allow pressure to release completely. Remove pressure lock and open lid.
7. Stir thoroughly. Add more fresh ground pepper or salt to taste. Add stock or water if consistency is too thick.
8. Serve with crusty bread (top with chopped green onion, grated Parmesan or sour cream if desired.)