This weekend at The Cupboard we were pleased to host our first ever cookie baking contest. We had 33 participants bring in over 40 different types of cookies! Needless to say it was quite a success. We would like to thank everyone who took time out of their day on Saturday to come down, especially our judges. The three judges had an extremely hard time choosing the winners, but in the end they decided on one in each of the three categories.
Our winner for most splendidly unique was Steven Engel with his Savory Garam Masala Cookie.
2 Cups Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. Sugar
2 Med. Onions
2 Serrano Peppers
handful of Cilantro
1/3 cup Oil
4 Tbsp. Butter
1/8 Cup Warm Water
4 Tbsp. roasted Sesame Seeds
1 tsp. Cumin
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
In our next category of best decorated there were several in the running, but Bettina Scorazafava came out on top with her Chocolate Chip Cookies in the shape of bicycles and leaves. They were perfect for a Fort Collins fall day.
Betttina’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 1/2 cups Flour
1 1/4 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. German Baking Powder
1 cup Butter
2/3 cup Sugar
2/3 cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
1/4 cup toasted coconut
12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
Mix Flour, Salt and Baking Powder.
Blend together Butter, Sugars, Vanilla and Egg.
Add flour mixture to butter mixture and blend well.
Add toasted coconut flakes and chocolate chips. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees.
Our Over All Best Cookie winner, Nan Christianson, says she her cookies were inspired by her daughter and her cooking blog.
Biscoff Stuffed Sugar Cookies
1/2 cup Biscoff spread
2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup Sugar, divided
7/8 cup Butter
2 large Eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla
1 tbsp. sea salt
2/3 cup Biscoff Spread
1/4 Powdered Sugar
-Divide biscoff spread into 24 teaspoon sized drops and place on wax paper lined cookie sheet. Freeze for 20-30 minutes while you prep cookie dough.
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
– Mix flour, baking powder and salt together then set aside.
– Beat butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar until creamy and fluffy, approx. 3-5 minutes.
Add eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla. Slowly stir in flour mixture until combined.
– Separate cookie dough into 1 tablespoon sized balls and chill cookie dough.
– Place 1/3 cup sugar in small bowl. Take Biscoff out of the freezer.
– To assemble: take one dough ball and flatten, place one dollop of biscoff spread and place in center of flattened dough. Put a second flattened dough ball on the top and pinch the edges to seal in biscoff . Dip the top in sugar and add a sprinkle of sea salt, place on cookie sheet. Repeat with the rest of the dough balls until 8 cookies are on a cookies sheet about 2″ apart. Bake until edges just start to brown.
– For frosting, Heat biscoff in microwave, stir in powdered sugar until smooth. Spread on baked and cooled cookies.
Congratulations to all of our winners! Also another huge thank you to everyone who to participated. We would not have had such a successful, fun experience with out you!